I recently came across this fantastic recipe on goop.com and just had to share it. Not only is this meal healthy and nutritious, but it's also a fantastic vegan option and is super easy to make. Goes well with brown rice, quinoa, or simply on its own.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
4 large garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons ginger, minced
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 teaspoons curry powder
½ teaspoon ground coriander
1 small pinch cayenne pepper
1 14.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup light coconut milk
2 packed cups finely chopped kale leaves (about ½ bunch)
salt to taste
lemon juice, to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a dutch oven/casserole dish (alternatively use a pot or pan) over medium heat on stove (ensuring dish is stove top friendly). Add onion and a pinch of salt and cook for seven minutes, or until beginning to soften. Add garlic, ginger, and spices and cook another two minutes.
2. Add chickpeas, stock, and coconut milk; bring the mixture up to a boil.
3. Reduce to a simmer and cook gently for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
4. Add the kale and another pinch of salt and simmer gently for 10 more minutes.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper and finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice just before serving.